How To Write A Cover Letter
Here are some of the rules I follow when I write a Cover Letter (don't forget the rules you were taught in primary school):
- Make sure that you know the name of the person to whom the application must be forwarded. As such, the salutation on the Cover Letter must highlight this.
- Emphasize the reasons I think I am the right person for the job in question
- These afore-mentioned reasons, highlight should the skills from my CV as wells as level of expertise on each skill. So, any kind of work experience that is most relevant is highlighted.
- Mention that you’ll will send a follow-up e-mail or fax or make a call to confirm that that application has been received.
- Indicate how you should be contacted. It could be by phone or e-mail should there be a need to do so.
- After everything else (Yours Truly, faithfully, sincerely...), I add the line 'CV Attached'.
Word of Advice: After finishing writing your cover letter, take it to your university's writing centre - most universities have this - or the English department to have it proofread or checked for grammatical errors. Or ask a friend to check it for you. If you're in high school, ask your English teacher to help you.
Now, here are documents for easy access...